Sunday, November 22, 2009

Clarification

Maybe some clarification is called for regarding my "anti-sustainability" rant in the last post. Here's an attempt: Do I think that sustainability in and of itself is a bad thing? Certainly not. In fact, I believe that true sustainability is an ideal to which we should all strive -- and we'd better if we want the human race to continue on this earth for very long. However, it's the current trendy "sustainability movement," with all its elitist trappings, that gets under my skin. Just Google "sustainability and elitism" and you'll see lots of information on the topic. Here's one article I particularly liked:
http://georgegoesgreen.blogspot.com/2009/04/green-elitism.html

I just can't get real riled up about "sustainability" and green grocery bags and organic food when I know from personal experience that if you live in the country or if you are poor and live in the inner city, it is not possible to get your hands on much more than a packaged honeybun or a can of vienna sausages unless you catch the crosstown bus to the "sustainable" part of town.

No comments: