Sunday, October 18, 2009

GARDEN AND GUN magazine

Several people I really admire have stated somewhere or other that they are fans of Garden and Gun magazine. I also happen to be acquainted with a couple of people who, in one capacity or other, have to do with the magazine. And those are folks I admire, too. Well, all due respects to those I admire, but Garden and Gun gives me the all-overs. Why? Because the magazine is racist.

I have thumbed through several issues, and the only photos of black folks are of black folks who are working for white folks – loading their guns or serving them food or cooking them food …. I clicked around ALL OVER the G&G website, and the only person of color I see is a jockey on a horse. At least he wasn’t of the concrete variety.

The Garden and Gun website prominently features an ad for Bray’s Island Realty which reads, “Where your home is a plantation.” I’m thinkin’ – Complete with slaves?

The magazine’s motto is: “Garden and Gun: Soul of the New South.” Which leaves me thinkin’ – Well, “soul” is one thang this magazine does not have.

An argument could be made that the magazine is superficial and elitist, too, but being superficial or elitist is, I guess, anybody’s prerogative. For that matter, I guess being racist is, too – but not this puppy. Therefore, I’ll forego spending any money on Garden and Gun magazine, and I’ll think twice about purchasing anything that’s advertised on their pages.

No comments: